Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Days 2 and 3 with our Mei Mei (Little Sister)


Tuesday

It has been a couple of days, but as you can imagine we have been busy since getting our new “precious soul.” On both days, there was business to take care of, but also some sightseeing. Best of all, Amelia Belle has opened up a little and we are seeing more of her personality. In addition, we have had a lot of questions about her from friends-- how she is acting and becoming accustomed to us. Therefore, I will try to shed some light on that as well.

On Monday after we got Amelia, she was very reserved. She watched everything and was very observant of us and everything around us. Even when eating she did not open her mouth very wide and ate very slowly and deliberately. She came right to us and did not seem upset at all until bath time. Maybe in shock.

That night, after bath and dinner, Amelia Belle played a little with all of us and then went to bed very easily. I put her down in her bed and she went right to sleep. She slept through most of the night until five but then she woke up fussy. Kristi put her in bed with us and she went back to sleep until past seven. When she awoke, she was a little different than the night before. She looked a little disoriented and still pretty reserved. We had to go back to the adoption center to sign papers, so Kristi, Amelia Belle and I loaded up to go.

When we got there, the caretakers where back. They were very nice to us and the woman (two men and a woman) was very affectionate toward Amelia Belle. Amelia Belle reached for her and she held the baby for a minute. When it was time to give her back, the woman did and Amelia Belle went right back to Kristi. Talking afterward, we were both a little nervous about that, but no worries. Then we had to wait to see the notary. During this time, I was holding Amelia Belle. I wanted a change of scenery so I walked down the hall and she started fussing. Loudly. She has not let me hold her since. More about that later, though. We spent a while at the Adoption Center, but actually only a total of 5 minutes in an interview (do you love this baby? Will you abandon? Will you abuse?, etc.) and with the notary. Now Amelia Belle is ours.

We went back to the hotel and while the baby took a nap, Thatcher and I went to the cleaners (easy and cheap), the bank (long wait and paperwork just to exchange money), down to the river and to get lunch. The most interesting part was going down to the river. I mentioned before that the riverside is full of mature adults engaged in different activities. Most of them are playing with a “hackey sack.” They kick around this plastic, metal and feather object. I bought one for Thatcher and we began to play. In no time, we had fifteen older Chinese people around us laughing and cheering Thatcher on. They gave Thatcher some pointers, one let us use is better “hackey sack”, and some even played with us. It was a lot of fun. Next, we went to Lucy’s to pick up a light lunch. French fries and onion rings for the adults, sweet and sour chicken for Thatcher and mashed potatoes for the baby.

We got back just as the baby was waking up. I had been trying to bribe her with food since she decided she did not like me, so I kept trying to feed her. She is really skinny, but not malnourished. And she ate as if she had not eaten in a week. She ate three big bowls of noodles, mashed potatoes and rice. We did not think she was going to quit. Mr. Zhou says do not worry about the schedule, just remember three things: 1. Feed the baby. Chinese babies will eat more than us. 2. Baby needs lots of sleep 3. Keep baby warm. Makes sense.

Next, we met everyone down in the lobby for shopping. We had babies in strollers, the two five year olds in tow (Thatcher and Ana) and we followed Zhou through an open air market to the pearl market and the mall. Finally dinner at Papa Johns. Take a look at the pictures---we saw dried up snakes, lizards, scorpions and caterpillars and more in the open-air market as well as all kinds of goods. We spent the majority of the time in the pearl market and all of the ladies made out like bandits because of the deep discounts that Zhou negotiated for us. In addition, we went to a big department/grocery store to get baby stuff and we were able to get Thatcher a pair of tennis shoes. Somehow, we forgot his at home and he had been wearing Crocs the whole time--even climbing the great wall. Lastly, we ate dinner at Papa John’s Pizza. The babies were all pretty tired, and I kept trying to feed Amelia Belle and win her over. No luck. She got upset when I pushed her stroller, too.

When we got back to the room, Amelia Belle again got upset at bath time. I am sure she has never sat in 3 inches of water before…probably just sponge baths. She does not cry; she just makes a pitiful whine. It does get louder the more upset she gets. After bath, it was time to feed her again. Man, does that kid eat a lot. She had a bottle and a bowl of rice cereal. I fed her some more, but it we gave her the spoon, watched her, and taught her to feed herself. I do not know if she has ever fed herself before, either. She looks like she will get the hang of it quickly. When it came time for bed, she got upset again. Kristi lay down with her, then when she calmed down put her in her own bed. She was quiet, so Kristi took the opportunity to take a shower. The quiet did not last long. Amelia Belle started fussing again and when it got loud, I thought this might be my chance to pick her up, comfort her, and win her over. Wrong again. When I picked her up, the fussing turned into a high-pitched scream. Not good. Kristi got out of the shower just in the nick of time and Amelia Belle calmed down pretty quickly. Kristi got her to sleep around 8pm and put her in her bed. She slept soundly until past 8am.

Wednesday

We have all been waking up early. Most mornings Thatcher knocks on our door at 6 or 6:30 am. Wednesday morning was no different. I woke up early, expecting Amelia Belle to wake up fussing again. She did not, but I did hear her talking in her sleep and even humming. Our first reports about her said that she likes to sing, and it was beautiful to hear. Up to this point, we had not heard her say much, either. It was nice to hear her voice.

We all got moving and got dressed. Amelia Belle woke up very calmly and was again a little disoriented. This did not last long, though. At breakfast, she and Thatcher started playing. She acted like she wanted to give Thatcher a tissue and when he would reach for it, she would pull it away. She got loud; she opened her mouth very wide and let him know she was not giving it up. She also laughed a lot. One of my favorite sounds is Thatcher’s laugh and it was wonderful to hear hers, too. It was even better to seen them having fun, but we did have to remind him to be gentle, not to startle her and to not get too “in her face.” He is having to adjust to not being the center of attention, so it is a big change for him as well.

Kristi, Amelia Belle and I had an appointment at 2:30 to go to the police station. Before we left, we wanted to take a walk and we needed Zhou to help us at the pharmacy. Amelia Belle has a runny nose, is congested and coughing. At the pharmacy, I asked some questions about medications. They didn‘t know what Nexium was and the only AZ product I saw I had not heard of. It was before my time.

Next, we went to the park. We did a lot there. Thatcher, Mimi and I played hackey sack, Thatcher played with some other kids and Amelia walked (very unsteadily) around. Then we brought Amelia Belle back to the room for some lunch of a bottle and rice cereal. Yum. But she loves it. You should see what the orphanage told us she eats.

Next, we returned to the hotel room. Kristi put the baby down for a nap, left her and Thatcher with me and she and Mimi went out to go the grocery store. I told her to hurry, because the baby still did not like me. I did not want to think about what that was going to look like if Amelia Belle woke up before Kristi got back. While they were gone, Thatcher tried his best to sneakily wake the baby by squeaking her shoes, trying to take a nap snuggled up close to her and by just being too noisy in general. Nevertheless, she stayed asleep. In addition, I spent some time getting pictures uploaded. Take a look at the slideshows. That’s what I did.

Next, all the parents and babies loaded up in a van to head to the police station. We had to go there to apply for the baby’s Chinese passport. The trip took a about an hour, but only about three minutes in front of a police officer. In the lobby, though, I got in trouble for taking a picture. Upstairs while sitting with the officer, he instructed a guard to find whomever was taking pictures in that waiting room. Apparently, that is a no-no at the Po-Po in China. We were one of the many families “at the precinct” today. It was a madhouse.

When we got back, I tried to bribe the baby some more with treats. She let me feed her and even colored with me. But only as long as Kristi is very close. She came from the orphanage with a ball and I tried playing with her. When I rolled the ball to her, she picked it up and handed it to Kristi. Kristi rolled it to me, I rolled it to Amelia Belle and she gave it to Kristi, repeatedly. Same thing with crayons. She will take them from me, but not give them back to me, only to Kristi. We played some more and then we got Thatcher and Mimi from next door to go shopping and to dinner.

We went shopping and got some paintings and a quilt for Amelia Belle’s wall. Hand made and very inexpensive. Then we walked to the end of the Island to eat at an Italian restaurant. It was very good and we will definitely eat there again.

Back in the room, once again, Amelia Belle got upset when bathwater was drawn and clothes taken off. She fussed and Kristi was able to calm her down, but after we fed her, she again became very reserved. I tried to feed her and she would not look at me or take a bite. She would only eat from Kristi, but still she was very reserved. I know these are all coping mechanisms. Sad, but fascinating to watch. I understand, but I do not like it a bit.

Bedtime was different tonight. Amelia Belle was in our bed with Kristi beside her and I was with them, too. Amelia Belle was not fussing, but was very fidgety. She was scratching herself (her neck has been itchy since we got her. No scabies or lice.), rubbing her head and eyes and pulling on the neck and the bottom of her pajama shirt. So fidgety that she wouldn’t go to sleep. So Kristi put her in her own bed and she went right to sleep. Easy.

Right now I am listening to her sleep and every once in a while she will hum. It is a sweet sound. So is her laugh. I want to hold her and hug her but she will not let me, yet. I know some of it might be coping. I know that some of it might be that she has not been around men much. I know all that, and I know that it will not be like this forever, but I do not like it. But I do like her. It is interesting to see the way she tunes me out. She will turn to Kristi when Kristi speaks to her, but she will deliberately avoid eye contact and make herself oblivious to me. I noticed after she got upset at bath time, she put her head down and did not make eye contact with either of us.

When Thatcher was born, I fell in love with him the day I saw him for the first time. Kristi carried him for nine months, and I guess I thought that might have something to do with it. But I fell in love with Amelia Belle the moment I saw her, too. A good friend has two sons, one adopted, and he told me from the beginning that it would not make a difference and he was right. Pretty cool. I have tried dolls, candy, food and toys. I will keep trying until we connect.

A few observations about her: She is tall and skinny. She is 22 months old on March 16 and her 18 month pants fall off her. I weighed her, she weighs 22 pounds, and she likes squeaky shoes. She is very unsteady and walks with a very wide, teetering gait and it is funny to watch. She is reserved, but can get pretty loud when you try to take what (she thinks) is hers. Kristi thinks she is mischievous and her laugh is funny. We have not head her speak, but she recognizes “more” (opens her mouth) and will wave when you say “bye-bye. “ When she opens up, she can be very expressive and she has a smirk that is the beginning of a smile that you can see in many of the pictures. She will do something, fall, hear something and look at Kristi with really big eyes. It always makes us laugh. A lot of the time she looks at Thatcher with curiosity, but she laughs at him, too. She does not like her hands to be dirty and she uses a tissue or wipe to wipe everything down as she's eating.

It is amazing to see how she has connected to Kristi. Kristi is her momma and it is obvious. She wants to be held by Kristi, she wants to be near Kristi and she wants Kristi’s attention. When she wants Kristi’s attention, she will grunt and she will “check-in” with Kristi by looking at her to gauge the situation. Amelia Belle also likes Norma (Mimi). Many of the orphanages have programs where grandmothers come in and rock the babies. Even though several of the Chinese shopkeepers have commented on Mimi being a very young grandmother, maybe this is why Amelia Belle reaches for her, too. It is a very good sign to see Amelia Belle bonding with Kristi. When anyone holds her, in a very short time she wants Kristi again. When Kristi walks away from her, she watches her or watches for her until Kristi returns and gets really happy when she does. Good stuff.

Lastly, I want to talk about my first “precious soul,” my baby boy Thatcher. He is being a trooper and handling this well on many different levels. First, he endured more than a day on planes to get here, lots of adult oriented sightseeing, climbed the Great Wall, sat through Jade, Pearl and Cloisonné factory tours, lots of time on a bus AND getting a new baby sister. Any only child’s world is turned upside down when another child is thrown into the mix and Thatcher is no exception. He really enjoys being the center of our universe, but he is handling it pretty well. We have had our moments, though. He has talked like a baby, got in her baby bed, tries to ride in her stroller, complains that I want to sit by her (“You just want to sit by her because you love her.”) and always wants to be carried. However, for the most part he is being sweet to her--when he is not taking something of hers to make her get upset because he thinks it is funny--and wants to love her and have her attention like the rest of us. I love that kid. He is so sweet.

Several of you have shared problems with posting. Create a Google account. It is free, then you can post--it is that easy. Thanks for your comments and encouragement.

Anyway, keep us in your prayers. We have now been gone for 8 days and will be here for nine more. We are having fun. Still lots to look forward to so I am not missing home too much. Yet. Well, Mexican food would be nice. We love everyone and appreciate the prayers, encouragement and comments. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. We are so excited and happy for you guys. What an amazing experience this must be. Hectic and a little crazy, but amazing. We cannot wait to meet Amelia! She is beautiful. It's really good she's taking to Kristi and in time she'll be just as crazy about you, Gene. You're a good dad. Amelia is lucky to have such great parents and such an awesome big bro. Let Thatcher know we're thinking about him and we know he'll be the best big brother ever. We love you guys.
    ~Jesy & David

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love y'all, too. Very hectic. We brought books and movies, but so busy we haven't had a chance. We just got back from the doc, and everything looks good. We were just talking about y'all...I saw something that reminded me of you. Rain is bad right now, got caught in it, now trying to get her to sleep for a nap. Talk to you soon.\

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been checking the computer almost hourly for an update...I am obsessed with your journey! Keep on keeping on Gene, I really think it will get better. And I know that Thatcher is doing the best he can...he is going to be an awesome big brother. Kristi is a mom, and Amelia Belle knows it...her mom. Love and miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete