Sunday, March 8, 2009

Zoo, Kisses and Hugs













Today was another really good day. We went to the zoo, which was good, but we had a lot of fun as a family. Thatcher said he wanted to be the "best big brother in the world" and he's doing a good job so far. All four of us got in the bed tonight and he thanked God for lots of things and the last thing was how much he loves his "baby sister"--he doesn't call her by name so much yet. Also...wait for it...Thatcher learned to blow a bubble with bubble gum. His Mimi taught him. Smart, talented kid. Maybe the smartest and talentedest 5 year in the world...maybe universe.

Also, Kristi's mom is being a dear. She is being great, helping us with Thatcher and giving us a chance to let him experience this big change and new addition to our family from the beginning, but also letting us have some time to bond with the baby. Last night she kept Thatcher while we went to dinner with the Kents. Thanks Mimi for helping us out.

Today we had lots of kisses, lots of laughing, lots of hugs and shouting at us to get our attention (you can see on the video above), as well as some two-year-old coming out in Amelia Belle. She wants to feed herself and probably did so for the most part in the orphanage, so when we try to help she doesn't like it. She went to bed by 8pm in the orphanage. Our routine is a little different. She gets pretty wound up after a bath, at least over the last few days she has played afterwards, and tonight she would not settle down. We put her in her bed and she fussed really loudly, so we got her out, all four of us lay in the bed together, and Thatcher finally had to go next door with Mimi because he couldn't be still. We turned off all the lights and She kicked her legs, put them in my face, grabbed my hands, sat up, stood up, fell down, laughed and made noises for a long time. Finally Kristi put her back in her bed and while she did not fuss this time, she tossed and turned for a lot longer before eventually falling asleep. Wild.

Everybody is asleep now and as I reflect on almost a week with Amelia Belle, we have come a long way. She still does not like for me to hold her, but if I do I can keep her from fussing by feeding her or bouncing her around...for a while anyway. We're getting there.

When they gave her to us, we were asked if we had any questions and we really couldn't think of any. Next week many of our new friends will go to the orphanages to see where their babies lived. We will not be able to because our orphanage is 5-6 hours away. It is a shame, because I really want to go. I want to know what my little girl's life was life before she came to us. Zhou says to bring her back when she is older, but I want to know now. She really likes being held, she seems affectionate and she loves attention. From what I understand, babies don't get that kind of one-on-one attention, and caregivers are not affectionate with the babies. But I want to know. I may go to another orphanage, just to see what it is like, but I don't know. I'll have to talk to Zhou.
It is Sunday night a little after 10pm. We have been gone from home for 12 days now. We have pretty much seen all the sights and now we are just waiting for Amelia Belle's Chinese passport and our Visa appointment on the 11th at the U.S. Embassy. We are pretty ready to come home. I am absolutely stir crazy in the hotel room. The island of Shamian is only so big and I at this point I am pretty bored, so I am going to try to go back over into the main part of Guangzhou tomorrow if the weather is better. Food is starting to be an issue. We ate Thai food tonight. Since we have been in Guangzhou, we have eaten Thai twice, Italian twice, American at Lucy's 3 times, McDonald's and Papa John's twice. Not much Chinese, and it might sound like we are eating things not different from what we eat at home, but we are craving some of our fave's. When we get back, we are already talking about some Mexicano on our way home.

I posted a few short videos at www.picasaweb.google.com/gellender03. Check them out and we love hearing from our family and friends. Thank you for the posts and we love y'all.

8 comments:

  1. I love the videos. I am so glad to hear about Gene and Amelia Belle getting closer, it just takes alittle time. I like the pic of the four of ya'll your family looks so complete.God has been so good. I am on a count down to when you come home. Love ya see you soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thatcher, Dad says you are a great big brother. I knew you would be. I am so excited for you to come home so I can go visit you at your house again. You tell Mom & Dad to let me know when a good time will be to visit. Thank you for praying for me and your other grandparents. I love you so much. Write back to me if you can get anyone to help.
    Love, Douda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the videos. Can't wait to hear her in person. Her little voice is so precious. Tell Thatcher he is the most talented kid I know. I miss that little dude so much!!! And his mom and dad too. Gene, you are doing a great job on the blog.I can almost feel like I am there-- with better food. We prayed for yall at bible study tonight and will continue to until I see your beautiful faces in Autumn Creek!!!Miss yall tons and I am holding out for Superior!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was me on the above post. Amber was signed in to my computer so it says her. I'm sure she does feel the same way, but I just hate to put her name on my goofiness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the videos and listening to her little voice. She is precious!! So glad Thatcher is a good big brother. I knew he would be. Glad to hear things are going well. Can't wait to see her when y'all decide to come home!! Take care and love y'all

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get so excited when there's new stuff on here Gene! My family is going thru withdrawls...we are ready for you to come home! It sounds like Amelia Belle is warming up to everyone...she will fit right in. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for the comments. We are pretty busy during the day...when I blog it is late at night so I don't always do it every night.

    Tammy: God is good. It might look complete to you, but Kristi says we're coming back for another...we'll have to see.

    Douda: Thatcher says that he loves you and that you can visit whenever you want. We miss you and look forward to seeing you soon.

    Amber/Carrie: I know Amber is sweet, but the post did not really sound like her. Was not surprised it was Ms. Carrie. Thanks, we miss y'all a bunch. Thatcher says that he misses home and PiperLandon.

    Jami: Thanks for all the posts. We miss you and appreciate Ethan's class praying for us. I am so glad that I figured out that our digital camera can take (low-quality) video and how to upload it. I took more of Thatcher and Amelia Belle today and Amelia Belle last night that I will upload. Her voice is sweet, but she mostly fusses and yells at me still. We're making progress, but I'm far from her favorite.

    Leigh: Thanks for your posts. We miss y'all and love y'all. Tell Jackson, Carter and Shawn that we'll be home soon...we miss Monday night pizza at Johnny's.

    Everyone, thank you for the posts. We wake every morning to check and see if we have any comments. We miss home and y'all and appreciate the communication to home.

    See you soon and keep watching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The time is coming for the journey to be finnaly complete once y'all get back home. I know everyone can hardly wait for that day!! The pic of Kristi and Amelia Belle kissing brought tears to my eyes. She is soo beautiful. And of course at the end the pic with Gene and Amelia Belle is absolutley adorable. I also love Thatcher posing with all of the statues!! He is crazy. y'all take care and love y'all

    ReplyDelete