Sunday, July 5, 2009

Graduation Day




The day finally came. After hours of hard work learning the alphabet, sight words, numbers, colors, learning to color within the lines and even how to write his first name, Thatcher finally graduated from the 4 year-old bridge class at Asbury Ark Academy at the end of May. There was a very moving slide show made up of pictures of the children both as infants and now and I had fun at the expense of all the teary-eyed mom's. Hopefully these kids (especially Thatcher) will have many more graduations--including kindergarten, elementary school, middle school, high school, and hopefully college and beyond.
It was a nice day for Thatcher, we took him out to eat at the restaurant of his choice--El Compadre Mexican. And after I made fun of the situation, I had a moment of my own later that night. After everyone went to bed and the house was quiet, in the middle of watching "The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons," I was struck by the fact that my little, sweet baby boy isn't a baby boy anymore. He'll never be a toddler again--he's a big boy now. I should cherish the times he wants to crawl up in my lap and snuggle with me. Soon he won't want to do that anymore. Heaven forbid, there might come a day when he doesn't want to spend time with me. He'll have friends and girls that will have his attention. This really puts into perspective the too many times that I have to tell him "no...I can't right now." I don't want him to grow up--it makes me a little sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment